Code Enforcement

Regarding the Department of Code Enforcement for the Town of Wappinger.

Our office is charged with the administration and enforcement of the New York State Building Codes and the local Codes of the Town of Wappinger. This ensures the safety and protection of the Town of Wappinger residents as well as to ensure compliance building practices of work requiring building permits.

All residents and applicants are urged to use this webpage for their convenience and help in applying for all necessary permits issued by this office. It is necessary for all information to be completed in full for any applications to be processed without delay, as well as the consent form from the property owners to allow any contractor to apply for building permits.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. When is a building permit required? 

A: Building Permit is generally needed when any minor or major electrical, plumbing, or structural work is done to a building. It is best to call and ask one of our trained code enforcement officers for direction.

2. Do I need to hire a licensed contractor? 

A: No license requirements are needed at this time in the Town of Wappinger. Owners may do their own work with a notarized statement. All contractors must supply all appropriate insurance forms before any application will be processed.

3. How do I know if a building permit has been issued?

A: It is the responsibility of every owner to obtain a building permit for work being done. Always ask the contractor doing work to see the building permit issued from this office and post on the premises easily seen from the street. You should contact this office regarding any questions on this issue.

4. What happens if I start work without first obtaining a permit?

A: You will not be able to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance. A Stop Work Order could be issued and fines may be imposed. Also, any work found to be at variance with applicable codes, rules and regulations will have to be corrected or removed.

5. How do I know if my permit has been closed?

A: When a permit is closed, the Code Enforcement Officer will issue a Certificate of Occupancy/Compliance. If you did not receive a Certificate of Occupancy/Compliance in the mail, you should follow up with the Building Department and check on the status of your permit. Most permits are only good for a year and once they are expired, can turn into violations on your property. Permits that are expired will have to be re-opened by submitting a new application and re-paying the permit fee.

Contact Us

Town Hall
20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590

(845) 297-6256
Fax: 845-297-0579

Code Enforcement Officers
Susan Dao - Building Inspector
Tony Steene - Deputy Building Inspector
Vol Griffiths - Deputy Building Inspector

Building Clerks
Christa Verano
Susie Hansen


Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm

Helpful Links