Copies of Death Certificates
A Certified Copy or a Certified Transcript of a death certificate may be issued:
- To a person with a New York State Court Order issued on a showing of necessity
- To the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased
- To the lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased
- To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim
- To a person requiring the record for a documented medical need
- To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes
Those falling into categories 1, 4 or 5 will not physically possess the record. The record will be sent from the Town Clerk’s Office directly to the agency requiring the record.
To request a search and certified copies
- Applicant will fill out the DOH-294A (Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Death Record). For records of deaths that occurred after 1/1/1988, the applicant will need to specify whether he or she is requesting the copies with or without the confidential cause of death.
- Applicant will need to provide a current government issued photo ID
- The fee for certified copies of death certificates is $10.00 per copy. Make checks payable to “Town of Wappinger”
- If requested by mail, the applicant should also write a brief request for the copy with a notarized signature
Cooper M. Leatherwood, Deputy Town Clerk
Grace Robinson, Deputy Town Clerk