Wappinger Town Hall Open By Appointment Only - Click for Details
COVID-19 Vaccine Updates - Click for Details
IMPORTANT UPDATES - General COVID-19 Info | Cancellations/Postponements | Business Updates | Town Hall Entrance COVID Questionnaire
Handicap Permits


  • Handicapped Parking Permit issuing agents are only authorized to issue permits to residents of that agents municipality.
  • Residents of the Village of Wappingers Falls should visit the Village Clerk, John Karge, at 2628 South Ave.
  • Residents of the Town of Poughkeepsie should visit the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department at 19 Tucker Drive
  • Residents of Fishkill should visit the Fishkill Town Clerk at 807 Route 52
  • Residents of East Fishkill should visit the East Fishkill Town Clerk at 330 Route 376
  • Residents of LaGrange should visit the LaGrange Town Clerk at 120 Stringham Road

Applicants will be required to prove identity and residency. Examples of acceptable proofs of residency are:

  • New York State Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s ID card
  • Utility Bill
  • Property Tax Bill or Receipt
  • W-2
  • Letter from Landlord or Residential Care Provider

All other cases will be decided using the “point system” established by DMV.


Any NYS resident that qualifies as a “severely disabled person” is eligible for a statewide parking permit. This includes children and elderly people that don’t drive or own a vehicle. Parents or guardians may apply on behalf of a severely disabled person. A State facility or agency may apply for a permit for each vehicle it uses primarily to transport disabled persons. State agencies must submit the request for a permit on the agency’s letterhead. The request is to include the following:

  • Describe the facility or agency
  • Explain how it serves individuals with disabilities
  • List the plate numbers and year and make of the vehicles in which the permits will be used
  • Include a copy of the agency or facility license or authority to operate

Types of Permits

Temporary Permits – issued to people that have a temporary disability. The maximum duration for a temp permit is 6 months. This permit will also be issued to any visitors from another country who are disabled and traveling in New York State.

Permanent Permits – are issued only to applicants diagnosed as a “severely disabled person” and have proper documentation stating such.

Medical Certification Requirements

It is strongly recommended that applicants use the standard “Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for Persons with Severe Disabilities” form (MV-664.1).

The applicant can fill out Part 1. The address should be a physical address, not a PO BOX.

The doctor needs to fill out Part 2 completely.

Part 3 will be filled out by the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk.

Applicants may choose to submit a doctors chit in place of the standard application form. This will be accepted, however, the chit will need to include all of the items that would have been required on the application. For example, if the doctor fails to include his or her professional license number, the chit will not be accepted.

Applications or documentation that is older than 1 year will not be accepted.

The issuing agent is not required to diagnose applicants.

Applying for Handicapped Parking Permit

  • Applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office or by clicking here.
  • Fill out Part 1. The information in Part 1 is to be the disabled individual. In other words, the person being issued the permit is the person with the disability. Parents of disabled children are not entitled to a handicapped parking permit.
  • Take the application to your doctor and have him or her complete Part 2.
  • Bring the application to the Town Clerk’s Office with your proof of identity and proof of residency.
  • Faxed or photocopied applications are NOT ACCEPTABLE

Handicapped Parking Permit Renewals

  • Prior to the expiration of your current permit, you should make arrangements for the renewal of your permit.
  • The procedure for renewing a Handicapped Parking Permit is the same as the procedure followed for the original permit. There are no exceptions.

Lost/Stolen Permits

  • An applicant may be issued no more than two permits for any period. If an applicant was only issued one permit and loses that permit, he or she can come in to ask for the second permit.
  • If an applicant was issued two permits and loses one of those permits, he or she will need to report the permit lost or stolen to the local police authority. The permit holder will need to provide proof that the report was made. A form is available at the Town Clerk’s Office.
  • Once proof of the report is provided, a 30 day hold period will need to elapse before a replacement can be issued.
  • There will be no more than one replacement permit issued for the duration of the permit period.

Denial or Revocation of Permits

  • New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law authorizes issuing agents to deny an applicant a permit or to revoke an issued permit if he or she feels there is evidence of abuse
  • If a permit holder is notified that the permit has been revoked, he or she must return the permit to the issuing agent. If the permit is not returned by the specified date, local law enforcement personnel will be contacted to confiscate the permit.

Please note:

“Making a false statement, or providing misinformation on an application to obtain or facilitate the receipt of a parking permit or license plates for persons with a disability is subject to fines ranging from $250 to $1,000 under Section 1203-a(4) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law and is punishable as a misdemeanor under Section 210.45 of the NYS Penal Law.”

Visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Contact Us

Town Hall
20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590

(845) 297-4158


Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm