New York State Star Exemption
New York State has changed legislation in how the STAR will be granted. If you notice a change on your school tax bill, or any other questions regarding your STAR credit check, please contact New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at (518) 457-2036.
The assessor’s office can no longer answer any questions regarding reductions or qualifying procedures.
There are many exemptions available to residential property owners, where the property is the primary residence of the owner. The Town of Wappinger offers the following:
- All new homeowners that have purchased after January 2015 must register with New York State for the STAR relief at https://tax.ny.gov. Assessor’s office can no longer accept new applicants.
- Application for Partial tax exemption for Senior Citizens 65 years or older with limited income
- Renewal Application for Senior Citizens with limited income
- Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption
- Application for Cold War Veterans exemption
- Disabilities And Limited Incomes
- Renewal Disabilities And Limited Incomes
- Renewal Agricultural
- Solar Exemption
All exemptions are due on or before March 1st, 2020
Other forms are available at:
Please contact our office for eligibility requirements.
Board of Assessment Review
Appointments for the Grievance Board will be given when the completed application is received
Information Regarding the Board of Assessment Review
How to contest your assessment:
Please submit your application with the following:
5 copies of the completed application with supporting documentation. For example:
three sales comparable to your home in or as near to your neighborhood, as of or about July 1 of last year same type of home (i.e. ranch compared to another ranch)
Christian Harkins, Wappinger Town Assessor
Loretta Brunello, Deputy Assessor
Tom Bahr, GIS Data Entry
20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls NY, 12590
Fax: (845) 297-8451
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm