The Wappinger Town Veterans Advisory Committee has been tasked by the Wappinger Town Board to promote services for veterans, develop projects to honor those who have served, and hosting patriotic events. The committee is actively working to erect hometown heroes banners and memorial bricks throughout the Town and is always looking for new volunteers.
Summary of Veterans Advisory Group Projects:
– Wappinger Veterans Memorial Highway—Resolution granted; Route 9 from Town of Poughkeepsie to Town of Fishkill, named Wappinger Veterans Memorial Highway. Legislation passed in State Assembly and State Senate. Signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo. The State DOT has erected two signs at the northern and southern entrances to the Town on Route 9.
– Renovate Major Daniel Martz Memorial on Pye Lane, at Martz Field – Remodeled within last 5 years, approximately. Pavers and steps were in disarray, and memorial largely unnoticed. Idea was to rebuild the site, moving it down to the entrance to the park, 60 yards east on Pye Lane. The monument will be set on an angle with respect to Pye Lane as well as the entry walkway, being visible from both directions.
– Veterans Graves Recognition— All the cemeteries within the town of Wappinger have had the veterans listed, according to cemetery name. At one of the town’s major celebrations, these names will be read from the lists, and the names will be recognized for the sacrifices the veterans made for their country.
– Memorial Pavers—These can be seen on the eastern side of the Town of Wappinger War Memorial at Brexel-Schlathaus Park. There are 93 memorial bricks there. The idea is to complete the other three sides of the monument, having as many memorial bricks installed there as possible. Click Here For Application
– HomeTown Heroes Banners—
The cost per banner is expected to be $200. Click Here For Application
Kevin Hathorn, Deputy Supervisor
Wappinger Town Hall
20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
- Dutchess County Division of Veterans Services
- New York State Division of Veterans Services
- VA Health Care System at Castle Point
- Town of Wappinger Veterans Exemption Information
- GI Bill Comparison Tool
- “RETURN THE FAVOR” Veterans Discount Program
- Transit Information to Castle Point VA
- DAV Veterans Claims