Peddling & Soliciting
The Town of Wappinger Town Code §175-5 requires that any person engaging in activity as a peddler or solicitor within the Town of Wappinger needs to first obtain a license from the Town Clerk.
§175-4 defines a peddler as: “Any person, including an employee or agent of another, who sells or offers to sell food, beverages, goods, merchandise or services on any public street or sidewalk from a stand, motor vehicle or from his or her person, or one who goes upon the premises of any residence in the Town, not having been invited by the occupant thereof, selling or offering to sell food, beverages, goods, merchandise or services”;
and a solicitor as: “Any person, including an employee or agent of another, who takes or offers to take orders for the sale of any goods, wares or merchandise for future delivery, or for the performance of future services, or distributes advertising material or solicits information which will be provided to others, or requests a contribution of money or anything of value, on any public street or sidewalk, or upon premises of any residence in the Town not having been invited by the occupant thereof”.
To obtain a license, the applicant will submit a completed Application-For-Hawkers-Peddlers-License, along with a check for $200.00, to the Town Clerk. Be sure to review §175-7 of the Town Code prior to filling out the application. The fee for a weekend only permit is $35.00. The fee for a replacement license/permit is $25.00.
Important Notes on the Application Process:
- The $200.00 fee is waived for veterans. You’ll need to first get a Dutchess County Veterans Vendors License.
- Vendors that will sell or handle food will need to first obtain a permit from the Dutchess County Health Department
- Vendors that will utilize weighing and/or measuring devices will need to first obtain a permit from the Dutchess County Sealer of Weights and Measures
- All applications will be reviewed by the Town of Wappinger Zoning Administrator prior to a license being issued
- Licenses are valid for one year from the date of issue.
Cooper M. Leatherwood, Deputy Town Clerk
Grace Robinson, Deputy Town Clerk