Wappinger Town Hall Open To the Public - Click for Updates
IMPORTANT UPDATES - General COVID-19 Info | Cancellations/Postponements | Business Updates | COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Where do you get a marriage license?

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply together in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state.

When can you obtain a marriage license at the Town Hall of Wappinger?

A marriage license can be obtained Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm.

Is there a waiting period?

Yes. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued. When both applicants are 16 years of age or older, the 24-hour waiting period may be waived by an order of a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the County Court of the county in which either of the applicants resides. If either person is under 16 years of age, the order must be from the Family Court judge of the county in which the person under 16 years of age resides.

How long is the license valid?

A marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days, beginning the day after it is issued.

How much does the license cost?

If the marriage license is issued by a town or city clerk in New York State outside of New York City, it costs $40. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration.

Who can get married?

Any couple that meets current requirements for getting married in New York State is eligible to marry regardless of sex.

Who can perform a Marriage ceremony?

You can find a full list of examples of who can perform a Marriage on the State website which is listed at the bottom of this page. The Town Clerk’s Office will recommend to all prospective brides and grooms the following marriage officiants if they are being married locally:

Available Judges and Marriage Officers within Wappinger

Hon. Matt Alexander             845-297-8773

Hon. Raymond Chase           845-297-2943/845-297-6777

Cheryl Hait                           845-297-6070

What are the Requirements to get a marriage license in the Town of Wappinger?

Proof of Age and Identity

A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the Town of Wappinger Town Clerk the following age related document:

  1. Original Birth Certificate or a Certified Copy or Transcript of Birth Certificate and one of the following identity related documents:
  2. Driver’s license
  3. Passport
  4. Employment picture ID
  5. Immigration Record

What if either party was previously married?

Information regarding all previous marriages must be furnished to the clerk at the time of applying for a marriage license. A certified copy of All Decrees of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage which should include the “Judgment of Divorce” section with a stamp or seal is required by the Town of Wappinger Town clerk.

Age Requirements:

  • If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.
  • If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents.
  • If either applicant is under 14 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.
  • If either applicant is 14 or 15 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.
  • One parent alone may consent to a minor’s marriage if:
    • The other parent has been missing for one year preceding the application;
    • The parents are divorced and the consenting parent was given sole custody of the child when the divorce decree was awarded;
    • The other parent has been judged incompetent; or the other parent is deceased.
    • Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the town or city clerk or some other authorized official. If the notarized affidavit is made before an official outside of the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.

Where do I obtain a marriage certificate copy for a person who obtained the marriage license in New York State outside of New York City?

  • For genealogy or family history copies, please visit our Genealogy web page.
  • For certified marriage transcript contact the municipality where you originally applied for the marriage license. If you applied in the Town of Wappinger or the Village of Wappingers Falls your license will be filed in our office. Applicants will need to fill out the DOH-301 (Application to Town Clerk for Copy of Marriage Record). A government issued photo ID is required. Each copy costs $10.00. If you are out of town you may request a copy through the mail by providing the following:
    • A completed application for a copy of marriage record
    • A notarized letter stating your request
    • A copy of government issued photo ID

$10.00 fee per copy. Checks should be made out to “Town of Wappinger”

Who is eligible to obtain a marriage certificate copy?

  • The spouses
  • Other persons who have a:
    • Documented judicial or other proper purpose
    • New York State Court Order

Contact New York State Department of Health at http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/marriage.htm

Click Here For Application For A Copy Of Marriage Record

Joseph P. Paoloni, Wappinger Town Clerk

Contact Us

Cooper M. Leatherwood, Deputy Town Clerk
Lauren T. Kalmancy, Deputy Town Clerk
Grace Robinson, Deputy Town Clerk

20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
Phone: 845-297-5771
Fax: 845-298-1478
Email: jpaoloni@townofwappinger.us

Helpful Links