Genealogical Research in Wappinger
The Vital Records of the Town of Wappinger (Birth, Death and Marriage records), are available for genealogy research dating as far back as 1882.
The Wappinger registrar can provide uncertified copies of the following records for genealogy research purposes:
- Birth Certificates – if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
- Death Certificates – in on file for at least 50 years.
- Marriage Certificates – if on file for at least 50 years and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased.
The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the bride and groom whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00
- 1 to 3 years – $22.00
- 4 to 10 years – $42.00
- 11 to 20 years – $62.00
- 21 to 30 years – $82.00
- 31 to 40 years – $102.00
- 41 to 50 years – $122.00
- 51 to 60 years – $142.00
- 61 to 70 years – $162.00
- 71 to 80 years – $182.00
- 81 to 90 years – $202.00
The fee applies separately to each record requested. For example, the fee for a request consisting of one birth record (1-year search for $22.00), plus one death record (24-year search for $82.00), plus one marriage record (11-year search for $62.00) is a total of $166.00
Applicants need to fill out the DOH-1562 (General Information and Application for Genealogical Services). Send the completed form, along with a check for the appropriate amount, made payable to “Town of Wappinger” to:
Town of Wappinger Town Clerk
20 Middlebush Road
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
Cooper M. Leatherwood, Deputy Town Clerk
Grace Robinson, Deputy Town Clerk